Win takes trainer back to where it all began

ON THE PACE: Kyneton trainer Scott Millard pictured with Arctic Dash after his maiden 305-metre win at Tara Raceway last Thursday. Picture: SUBMITTED

By David Lewis

THE win of Arctic Dash in last Thursday’s Todd’s Photographics Maiden Stake (305 metres) was a case of once again taking Kyneton trainer Scott Millard back to where it all began in 2016.

Actually, it had been a tour of Tanjil South trainer Kate Gorman’s kennels that led to his now strong involvement and passion for greyhound racing.

“There was a few of the family there that day and by the time the tour had concluded we had purchased a greyhound called Mumma’s Meatloaf,” Millard recalled.

“She was well-bred, being by the US sire Bella Infrared out of Sluice who raced on only 16 occasions for two wins at Warragul.

“But there was plenty of winning form there with Sluice tracing back to Floodfawn who raced from 2000 to 2002 when winning 39 races and $116,000 in prize money.

“And we certainly had plenty of fun with Mumma’s Meatloaf after she won 10 races at The Meadows, Sandown Park, Traralgon and Cranbourne for prize money of more than $35,000.”

By Sulzanti, Arctic Dash is the second of Mumma’s Meatloaf second litter to win following Aurora Dash’s win at Tara Raceway last September.

Arctic Dash, who finished the race off strongly for a 1¾ length win in 18.52 seconds, was having his 16th start, the light fawn dog raced in partnership with Millard’s father Chris.

The win completed a good week for the 41-year-old – who has now been training greyhounds for three years – following a win a few days earlier over 390 metres at Ballarat with Skull.

While conceding Mumma’s Meatloaf’s two litters had been disappointing, Millard said he had high hopes for four litters which are currently being reared on his 10-acre property.

“I’m pretty happy with my Tommy Shelby pups which are looking good at the pre-training stage,” he said.

“And with another three litters to follow there’s a fair bit happening.

“But most certainly I’m still looking for the right one,” said Millard as he prepared for his four-hour journey back to Kyneton.